The History of Baysgarth

September 1995 marked the twentieth anniversary of the introduction of comprehensive education in Barton, when Baysgarth School was founded in 1975. It may interest readers to recount events leading up to this.

In the early decades of the century only elementary education was provided in Barton; any child passing the "scholarship" had to travel to Brigg or elsewhere - the boys to the Grammar School, the girls to the High School for Girls.

With the increase in population the former Lindsey County Council (part of Lincolnshire) opened Barton Grammar School for boys and girls in 1930. Pupils who did not pass the scholarship (or 11+) remained in the all-age schools until the age of 14 or 15.

The Education Act of 1944 introduced secondary education for all but with post-war austerity it was not until 30 April 1957 that the Beretun Secondary (Modern) School was opened on the Barrow Road site.

After the Redcliffe-Maud Report into local government and much discussion, Barton found itself part of the new estuarial authority of County Humberside., formed into the majority of the East Riding of Yorkshire., the City of Hull, parts of the West Riding and the northern part of the Lindsey division of Lincolnshire. Elections to the new County were held in June 1973 and it assumed power in April 1974. Being Labour dominated, the Education Committee decided to introduce non-selective (or comprehensive) education throughout Humberside and that a new comprehensive school in Barton be set up from September 1976. The general electron of October 1974, (the second in that year!) returned a Labour government with a workable majority, thus ensuring that Humberside's plans would be approved by the Education Ministry.

There ensued much discussion involving the staffs from both traditions and Mr Ray Smithson was appointed Head Designate in early 1975. It was decided that both schools would continue as separate "departments" for one year but there would be a comprehensive intake of about 240 11 year olds - all to be housed in the Beretun buildings. All pupils in both schools were to be placed in one of six new Houses - Ancholme, Bardney, Lindsey, Newton, Treece and Wold were the names finally decided on, all with local connections. This "interim" year produced some interesting problems as the two departments had different lesson times, but some teachers taught in both!

The basic structure of Baysgarth School as it exists at present was instituted in 1975-76. and new entrants have been houses in the Lower School, the former Grammar School building, ever since.

In the years immediately after reorganisation, the school had upwards of 1600 pupils on roll but in recent years this has reduced to the 1000 mark, giving a much more spacious feel to the buildings - particularly at lesson changeover times!

The current campus provides examples of "scholastic" architecture from many decades.

1930s - Lower School main building, Caistor Road
1950s - Main School building - Barrow Road
1960s - Lower School Annexe
1970s - Sports Hall "new" teaching block, Year 11 block
1980s - Admin block, Drama Studio, CDT area
1990s - Lower school was closed and demolished
2000s - Annex still remains, which is now the English block. Year 11 Block is now the Art block with a newly refurbished canteen. Languages have two new extension classrooms.
2004 - Mr Colin Saywell appointed the new headteacher for Baysgarth School
2006 - Baysgarth School granted 'Technology Status'
2006 - House system re-introduced with houses (Ancholme, Bardney, Newton & Treece)

Baysgarth School has a fantastic, interesting History and will continue to achieve and make History in the future.